Frequently Asked Questions
My employees keep clicking spam links in emails. I’ve tried to use email rules to weed them out but it isn’t working. What can I do?
- An email security subscription is a cheap and easy way to prevent spam from hitting inboxes and protects email in receipt/transmission. Investing in an anti-spam email subscription is a really good start to keep your inbound and outbound messages protected, as well as keep spam filtered out. Another avenue for this wouldbe to implement Security Awareness Training. The more your staff knows about hackers and their tactics, the better they are at spotting dangerous and sketchy links and messages!
Why is our wireless so slow and problematic? I always lose connectivity to it.
- Sometimes wireless devices aren’t powerful enough to extend the wireless signal. This can be solved with a Wireless Mesh Infrastructure upgrade that will allow for seamless roaming, fast speeds, and stable connectivity. Our team can select the appropriate device, install it, and configure it to your business’s needs.
Q: How do I keep track of all my passwords while also keeping them secure?
- Memorizing a different password for every account is difficult for anyone. This causes people to reuse the same password across multiple accounts. While this is convenient at first thought, it is highly dangerous. Since there are so many breaches happening that include a dump of the website’s logins, all it takes is one site to be breached for individuals that practice this type of password management to become a victim. The best solution is to leverage a password keeper that helps generate a strong, unique password for each account. The best versions of this type of tool enforces multi-factor authentication advice well as helpers that make it easy to enter these credentials into websites and tools for you.
The storage is full on my laptop and I haven’t been able to get software updates. How can I fix this?
- Our engineers help people every day with storage issues. Some of the simplest fixes involve increase the storage capacity with an upgraded hard drive or solid-state drive.
- Other things to consider is if there is a desire to utilize cloud-based storage. Moving your data to the cloud with Microsoft 365 means that you have less need for a physical back-up and even in the event that the laptop is damaged, your data is safe!
This server is critical for our business, and it cannot go down. We use it for everything. How do I make sure the data is protected?
- With remote support from our technicians we can remotely monitor and remediate most issues automatically. Our services provide remote monitoring to alert us when critical servers or workstations are down. We can even take more proactive steps to save data on these devices if/when an outage occurs. Implementing back-up devices are also a good start, to make sure that if a server goes down, all important data has a secondary location.
Q: Why does my network printer seem to work inconsistently?
- It is very common that managed print services vendors or a tech-savvy staff/family/friend can successfully perform the initial install of a printer, but there are many additional steps that must be taken to ensure it will always work reliably when you need it. It is extremely common that these printers are setup halfway correctly. The most common issue is that the printer is installed on a machine with a specific setup but the network or the printer is not configured to ensure nothing conflicts with the printer. Smartphones connecting to the same network are very common in networks that don’t segregate devices from the corporate network that the printer is installed and setup to function on. This is a very quick thing to fix correctly and can be done usually within a matter of minutes remotely or on-site by a properly trained IT technician familiar with networking.
Q: I have really old software running on an old server/workstation and I don’t have support or can’t afford to replace the software (or the company that sold the software went out of business). How can I get off really old hardware without having to pay an arm and a leg?
- Virtualization has allowed a physical machine to be moved completely into another without losing any of the functionality. This is an option to consider if there are really no other good alternatives and is not typically the first option to consider. It requires an IT technician trained in virtualization technologies to perform properly and can take time to complete depending on the job.
How can I prevent all my staff from sharing the main login information to access our server?
- Firstly, you’ll need to ask yourself who you actually want to have access to all of that sensitive information. Users permissions are also important to keep in check.
- Second, it is important that no two employees share the same login information, let alone everyone in the building. This is a recipe for disaster because if one person were to be irresponsible with the login information it could be detrimental to all the sensitive data stored within the server if those credentials fall into the wrong hands.
Q: Why do I get so much spam in my email inbox?
- Lots of spam can occur if your email address is published on your website or if it was leaked as part of a website that has been breached. As email is crucial for many organizations for their business operations, anti-spam solutions help reduce the manual sifting for legitimate communications. More and more often spam is being engineered to trick unsuspecting people into clicking on links or downloading files that contain harmful content. This is the most common attack to cause a breach, such as ransomware, to occur.
Q: How can I offer guests/visitors/clients the use of my wireless network in a secure manner?
- It is very common that businesses want to offer their visitors the ability to access the Internet through their wireless network. The most convenient way to achieve this is to give them your corporate network password but this can be very dangerous as this enables access to an organization’s critical assets such as the servers and/or where the critical data is stored. The secure way to do this is to have a technician establish a Guest Network where visitors have a designated network that doesn’t put the business at risk.
Need IT help at your office?
Our team is ready to help you! You can fill out the form or use our chat feature in the bottom right corner. Contact us and we will get back to you shortly!
PO Box 1355
Rainier, OR 97048
Cowlitz County Location
1422 12th Ave., Suite A,
Longview, WA 98632
Columbia County Location
1820 St. Helens St., Suite A,
St. Helens, OR 97051